Cherry Red Records will release the remastered reissue of Toyah’s 1982 Silver-certified album The Changeling on Friday 29 September 2023.
The Changeling reissue is released on Neon Pink-Coloured LP, 2CD+DVD Expanded Edition and a Super Deluxe Edition Box Set.
Produced by the acclaimed Steve Lillywhite, the album features a line-up of Toyah Willcox (vocals), Joel Bogen (guitar), the late Phil Spalding (bass) and the revered Simon Phillips (drums). The album also features guest synthesizers/keyboards from Andy Clark (David Bowie’s Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), member of Be Bop Deluxe) and Simon Darlow. The brass section from Haircut 100 also feature on Street Creature. The album peaked at no.6 in UK Top 40 Album Chart in June 1982.
All formats presents the album in a new remaster by Nick Watson from the original mastertapes, approved by Joel Bogen, and further endorsed by Steve Lillywhite.
For the tenth release of the Toyah Safari catalogue on Cherry Red, Toyah’s archivist Craig Astley has dug the deepest yet to expand the album with a thrilling treasure trove of previously unheard bonus tracks, previously unseen footage and unseen, thought-lost, imagery.
Super Deluxe Edition Box Set
The limited edition Super Deluxe Edition box set is the ultimate celebration of the hit album and brings together:
- The expanded deluxe & remastered 2CD+DVD with an exclusive outtake front cover and alternate images inside (than the standalone 2CD+DVD)
- A BONUS CD of a further 18 previously unreleased and remastered tracks
- THE CHANGELING album on 12” PICTURE DISC LP – first ever picture disc version with rare outtake artwork
- THE CHANGELING|WORKS IN PROGRESS on 12” Pink/Blue Splatter Coloured Vinyl LP
- 44-PAGE BOOK of Changeling anecdotes, lyrics & poetry by Toyah Willcox with rare & unseen imagery
- 12” x 12” ARTWORK PRINT
- 4 COLOUR POSTCARDS
STRICTLY LIMITED Whilst stocks last!
The first 500 orders of the Super Deluxe Edition of The Changeling from Cherry Red Records website will EXCLUSIVELY include a CD single of Brave New World.
- This exclusive 6-track CD single comes in a full colour wallet with a colour picture CD disc artwork with 6 remastered tracks that appear only on the CD single.
- This includes the Single Version of Brave New World and an unheard Work in Progress Instrumental version. A previously unreleased Full Length Version presents the full unadulterated, unsegued and unedited track for the first time.
- The single Ieya 1982 rounds-off the CD single. Released as the follow-up to Brave New World, the re-recording was Simon Phillips’ final studio recording with the band.
NEON PINK VINYL LP
The Changeling will also be available on strictly limited edition Neon Pink coloured vinyl, reflecting the striking colour of Toyah’s ethereal hair from the Back cover and Brave New World video. The vinyl is the original 10-track album running order in its new 2023 remaster by Nick Watson.
A new colour inner bag design features rare imagery plus an additional 4-page facsimile of the LP’s original insert contains the lyrics to all 10 songs on the album plus additional poetry by Toyah Willcox.
An exclusive colour postcard of an unseen Toyah image is available while stocks last exclusively from Cherry Red.
EXPANDED DELUXE 2CD+DVD
The 2CD+DVD features 31 bonus tracks are distributed across the two audio discs, including 20 previously unreleased tracks, and a further three previously unavailable on any CD.
An exclusive colour postcard of an unseen Toyah image is available while stocks last exclusively from Cherry Red. The image is different to the LP postcard.
2CD+DVD TRACK LIST
CD1 The Changeling
- Creepy Room
- Street Creature
- The Druids
- Angel & Me
- The Packt
- Life In The Trees
- Dawn Chorus
- Run Wild, Run Free
- Brave New World
- Warrior Rock
- Paradise Child
- Good Morning Universe
- Urban Tribesmen
- In The Fairground
- The Furious Futures
- Go Berserk (Tour Intro)^
- Stand Proud
- Clapham Junction
- I Want To Be Free (Roundhouse Session)^
- Dawn Chorus (6.55 Special Version)^
^ previously unavailable on CD
CD2 Rare & Archive Material
all previously unreleased
- Creepy Room (Work In Progress Mix)
- Street Creature (Work In Progress Mix)
- Castaways (Work In Progress Mix)
- The Druids (Work In Progress Instrumental)
- Angel & Me (Work In Progress Mix)
- The Packt (Work In Progress Mix)
- Life In The Trees (Work In Progress Mix)
- Dawn Chorus (Work In Progress Mix)
- Run Wild, Run Free (Work In Progress Mix)
- Brave New World (Work In Progress Mix)
- Warrior Rock (Work In Progress Instrumental)
- Paradise Child (Instrumental Outtake)
- Untitled No.12 (Instrumental Outtake)
- Chariots (Instrumental Home Demo)
- The Pied Piper (Instrumental Home Demo)
- Roxy One (Instrumental Home Demo)
- Talking To Seifert (Instrumental Home Demo)
- Piano Ballad (Instrumental Home Demo)
- Anger (Instrumental Home Demo)
- Bus Station For Heroes (Instrumental Home Demo)
DVD Rare & Archive Footage
1. Creating The Changeling: Toyah Interview 2023
2. Track By Track Commentary: Toyah Interview 2023
3. Good Morning Universe: Live & Unplugged 2018
4. Brave New World: Live & Unplugged 2018
5. Angel & Me: Live & Unplugged 2018
6. Brave New World: Promo Video
7. Brave New World: Promo Video Outtake Footage
8. Good Morning: Universe Top Of The Pops
9. It’s A Mystery: Top Of The Pops Xmas Party
10. I Want To Be Free: British Rock & Pop Awards 1981
11. Brave New World: Get Set For Summer
12. Street Creature: Get Set For Summer
13. Castaways: Get Set For Summer
14. Brave New World: Cheggers Plays Pop
15. Dawn Chorus (Tour Clips): Nationwide
16. Dawn Chorus: Pebble Mill 6.55 Special
17. Ieya 1982: Pebble Mill 6.55 Special (Uncut Ending)
18. Street Creature: Three Of A Kind
- CD1 includes two finished outtakes from the album sessions, B-Side Warrior Rock and the unused Paradise Child. The long-sought after re-recording of Dawn Chorus, previously only available on a BBC television appearance makes its CD debut.
- The eight remastered tracks that featured on Cherry Red’s expanded vinyl release of EP Four More From Toyah also make their CD debut. This includes the previously unreleased tour intro Go Berserk and a re-recording of I Want To Be Free, a try-out for the digital recording equipment subsequently used for The Changeling.
- CD2 contains 20 previously unheard tracks, an alternate run-through of the full album sequence all in revealing ‘work in progress’ variations courtesy of archive mastertapes and Joel Bogen’s cassette archive. These includes significantly alternate vocals on Brave New World, Creepy Room and Castaways, the latter with an entirely different lyric. Many tracks feature placeholder keyboards from Joel Bogen before Andy Clark and Simon Darlow joined the album sessions. A completely unused instrumental outtake also appears.
- Joel Bogen’s previously unheard home Portastudio demos that include Phil Spalding on bass show the embryos that the songs on The Changeling and Four More From Toyah developed from.
- In the 24-page booklet Toyah Willcox provides a brand-new introduction alongside a special dedication to the late Phil Spalding by Toyah band co-founder/guitarist Joel Bogen. Plus an extensive sleevenote from Craig Astley.
- The artwork package is packed with rare and unseen imagery created for the album, including outtakes from the album cover session, and further unseen photographs taken for the Brave New World front and back covers.
- The accompanying DVD (NTSC/Region Free) includes two brand new in-depth feature-length interviews with Toyah Willcox. Creating The Changeling sees Willcox looking back to the period running up to the album sessions, its recording and release. Previously unseen footage from the making of the Brave New World video has been specially unearthed to provide a revealing insight into the creative process.
- The iconic 1982 promo video for Brave New World is included alongside a full song playthrough of completely unused and unseen performance footage from the Brave New World shoot.
- 11 archive BBC clips feature including Good Morning Universe on Top Of The Pops, It’s A Mystery from the year-end TOTP Christmas Party. A band performance of I Want To Be Free from the British Rock & Pop Awards 1981, at which Toyah collected the award for Best British Female Singer appears alongside TV performances of Brave New World, Street Creature, Castaways, Dawn Chorus and Ieya 1982. There’s also rare rehearsal clips of The Changeling Tour from a Nationwide TV report.
- The Pebble Mill 6.55 Special from August 1982 includes Toyah’s performance of the re-worked Dawn Chorus and Ieya. This special inclusion includes a full unbroadcast minute of the Ieya performance, not seen due to running over the allocated programming schedule.
- Acoustic versions of the classics Angel & Me, Brave New World and Good Morning Universe feature from an intimate Toyah concert at Trading Boundaries in 2018.